Film Director / Producer Michael Kirk of Maltese Productions please interview us for your new movie “Prince: R U Listening”!
–First of all we are huge fans! —
I am writing this open letter to introduce you to my esteemed friends who are music aficionados and Paisley Park regulars. Together we have more knowledge about Prince than most of the so-called experts in the media frenzy over the last six months. We want to help with the making of your new documentary film “Prince: R U Listening”. We don’t care about money or publicity. We do this for the truth and because we were a part of that Paisley Park scene that showed “love4oneanother”! Here is a brief background of each of us.
Fig. 1. Matt Martin and Jeremy Swenson – Dance Party at Paisley Park, Oct, 2015.
1) Dr. Griffin Woodworth has a Ph.D. in Musicology from UCLA where much of his research has been on Prince and Frank Zappa. Since 2012 he has been working on a book “Prince, Musicologist” (working title) for the University of Michigan Press Tracking Pop series. He has been a Paisley Park regular since about 1995 and has written articles, blog posts, and has also been cited by the media on the history of Prince and music generally. He is also a music history, music technology, and music commercialization professor – he has taught at leading colleges and universities from MN to SC. See the links to some of his publications here:
a) Blog: PAISLEY PARK IS IN YOUR HEART: A REMEMBRANCE.
b) News Media: At Prince’s house, heartbroken fans mourn ‘a piece of my childhood gone’.
c) Academic article: Prince, Miles, and Maceo: Horns, Masculinity, and the Anxiety of Influence.
d) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/griffinwoodworth
2) Mark Bonde is an energetic leader with a firm understanding of the global security landscape and is focused on helping organizations deliver higher levels of physical security through the effective use of technology. He possesses a strong set of interpersonal skills that enable him to communicate effectively in diverse cultures and environments. He has been going to Paisley Park since 1995 and is friends with one of Prince’s longstanding and highly regarded tour and party DJs, DJ DUDLEY D (AKA Dustin Meyer). He was also in Prince’s 1996 MTV Emancipation Broadcast as an extra. He has a BA from the University of MN in Political Science, and has been cited by the local media about Prince and has blogged and spoken about him in the following links:
a) Video Blog Eulogy:
b) Blog: Paisley Nights.
c) Media commentary: Prince fans still visiting Paisley Park.
d) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-bonde-b249353
3) Sara Savoy is a seasoned business leader with over 20 years of success in sales and sales management. She focuses largely on driving net new revenue and exceeds quota attainment for Digital Technology and Marketing (Software and Software as a Service) products. She is a strong local music insider, creative photographer, and has also been a Paisley Park event regular for many years. She has a few impressive blog posts and media citations, including a photo of Paisley Park that went viral from TIME, Rolling Stone, and other publications this summer:
a) Media: Her Paisley Park photo cited by TIME Magazine among others.
b) Blog: A Rehearsal of Fortune with Prince at Paisley Park.
c) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarasavoy
4) Michael Holtz is a data and infrastructure technology professional who runs a DJ business on the side. He has been Prince’s event party DJ for about the past two years and still does so for his estate on occasion. He has an exotic flair for funky beats and is respected among Paisley Park staffers and the electronic music scene in MN. He has commentated on Prince and the music industry many times and can be seen in the following news links:
a) Fox News: Prince’s Studio DJ Opens Up About Pop Icon’s Final Public Performance.
b) DJ Video Commentary: A Tribute To Prince | A Reflection On His Life with Mike Walter and Michael Holtz | #DJNTV.
c) DJ Service web-site: 2 The Max Entertainment.
d) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelholtz
5) My name is Jeremy Swenson and I am a passionate creative, music curator, and Prince super fan who has been a regular concert goer and party goer at Paisley Park since 2000 – both public and under the radar events. I watched Prince audition and select his best drummer ever, John Blackwell, and even got on stage to sing with him in the year 2001 at a jam session. I am connected with many of his present and former bandmates and staff on Facebook, LinkedIn, and in other social channels. I was at the last dance party on 04/16/16 and was one of the lucky few to hear from Prince before he passed away the next week as were my friends Mark Bonde, Michael Holtz, Harvey Andrus, and Sara Savoy.
I have a BA in Political Science and Jazz from UWEC, an MBA from St. Mary’s University of MN, and am currently pursuing a rare and exceptional masters degree at the Univ. of MN in Security Technologies. I have blogged and commentated about Prince, the Mpls music scene, the music business, economics, and related technology concepts. I am also a speaker and Sr. Consultant to the insurance, banking, retail, and healthcare industries at the intersection of process improvement, security, and technology. See a few of my written works below:
a) Blog 1: Prince and Purple Rain 30 years later: Business and Music Innovation.
b) MN AMA Blog 1: Three Keys to More Innovative Marketing: The Case of Prince.
c) Blog 2: Social Tech CEO Jimmy Chamberlin Rejoins Smashing Pumpkins.
d) MN AMA Blog 2: U2: Music Marketing Tweaked for a Hyper-competitive Digital World, While Still Appealing to Emotion.
We have open hearts to help with your film pursuit of the Prince scene in whatever way we can. Our insights and stories are valuable as you move your documentary forward.
Fig 2. Bill McKee and Jeremy Swenson visiting The New Paisley Park Museum, Oct, 2016.
Please contact me here to set up a meeting.
Much love and respect,